Soup is one of those things that I really have to be in the mood for, and the other day it was a cloudy/rainy/snowy/windy afternoon that called for a bowl of warm, steamy, delicious soup. I flipped through the recipe binder and found myself not only wanting soup but wanting to try something new. I found a recipe that I’d printed and placed in the binder without ever trying and this was its day… Chicken Pot Pie Soup sounded perfect.
Of course, me being me, I sipped some wine and started substituting. Vegetables, sip, chicken, sip, and creamy seasoned liquid. The grand finale, however, was that I was planning on using “my” pie crust recipe until I realized that the soup needed something like dumplings… but not.
Biscuits. I had actually never made biscuits before – but my good friend, wine, told me that this would be somple. I found a recipe, did some substituting again (ADD VODKA TO ALL THE THINGS!) and, voila! fluffy delightful biscuits! I tore up a biscuit and dropped one into each bowl of soup. As you can see below, I also added some cheese because, why not.
It was, in a word, magnificent.
I wrote down my modifications so we could create this again – as I’m sure we’ll still have a few more rainy/snowy/slushy/cloudy/windy days before summer bores us with it’s monotonous heat and barbecuing 😉
Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 2 Cups Chicken, cooked and diced
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2-3 Celery Stalks, diced
- 2-3 Carrots, diced
- 1 ½ Cups Broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 TBS Butter
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 TBS Flour
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic and stir to coat. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add flour, stir well, and then add chicken broth a ½ cup at a time until broth heats through before adding more broth.
- Once all broth has been added, stir in seasonings, chicken, and broccoli.
- Heat over medium until soup is bubbling. Turn down heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes (if serving with biscuits, can make at this time).
- Add cream. Allow soup to heat through before serving.
Homemade (Vodka!) Biscuits
adapted from this recipe
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TBS Sugar
- 1 TBS Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup Butter, cubed
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Vodka
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, and backing powder in a mixing bowl. Add butter and mix well until butter is crumbled and coated, but not completed mixed. Slowly add milk, then vodka. Mixture should pull away from bowl.
- Knead (with dough hook or hands) 15-20 times.
- Roll out onto floured surface to 1 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter or glass. Should make 6 biscuits.
- Place on well greased baking sheet (or foil lined). Bake for 13-15 minutes until outsides are browned.
Should make 6 Large Biscuits
This is a quick and easy dinner, so I’m linking up here