Do you ever feel like something is missing in your life? … and then you realize it’s cheese?
On this occasion it wasn’t the orangey melty Grilled Cheese Sandwich type, or the soft and springy feta, or even the tangy blue cheese. I was longing for the kind that is just barely holding together bits of rice, slightly crunchy onion, and sautéd mushroom. The kind that you almost wouldn’t know was there if you hadn’t grated it into the pan 15 minutes before.I’d gone too many a cheese-less dinner before I decided that I was making a sharp white cheddar risotto.
This was mostly due to the fact that I didn’t want to go to the store and get parmesan. Also, we had some mushrooms, onions, and leftover chicken to use. And cheddar, we always have cheddar. I didn’t spend too long beating myself up over it – one grated cheese is as good as another in my book.
I always think risotto will take longer than it does, so it’s a good idea to get all the ingredients ready before you get started – and have people ready to eat as soon as it’s finished.
Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
- 1 Cup Basmati (or Wild) Rice
- 2.5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2.5 Cups White Wine
- Olive Oil
- 1 TBS Butter
- 8 oz Mushrooms, diced in varying sizes
- Half a medium yellow onion
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken (I use leftover chicken breasts)
- 1/2 Cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (usually it calls for parmesan)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Sauté mushrooms bits in 1 TBS oil over medium heat until soft. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in 2 TBS oil over medium heat for one minute. Add rice and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until rice has a golden/translucent appearance. Add 1/2 cup wine. Cook until wine is gone, add 1/2 cup broth.
- Alternate 1/2 cup wine and 1/2 cup broth until liquids are gone and cooked down.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and cheese. Then add mushrooms and chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you remember to, you can serve with steamed Broccoli or a salad, but I usually forget to prepare a side dish with this meal. I’ve never had any complaints. Enjoy!
And check out this site for other recipe ideas 🙂